Monday’s meeting of the Union Parish Police Jury began with some swearing. All nine members, seven of them new for 2020, were sworn in at the beginning of the meeting.
Third Judicial District Judge Bruce Hampton handled those duties. He had a message for the jurors prior to the ceremony. “You have a daunting task ahead of you,” Hampton said. “I ask each of you to make each decision prayerfully and with each citizen of Union Parish in mind. Approach this job with a sense of service to God and to the community and citizens of Union Parish. Approach it with humility.”
Once the ceremony was complete, the jurors got to work. Jury advisor, Third District ADA Tracy Houck, conducted the process to elect officers for 2020. Nominations for Jury President and Vice President were heard and voted on. Johnny Buckley, a former juror who has been off the jury for two terms, is the Jury President. New juror Brenda Abercrombie is the Vice President.
Once those elections were official, Buckley took control of the meeting.
The rest of the meeting was spent closing out 2019 and planning for 2020. Board appointments and committee assignments were handed out for the year. Most jurors were appointed to one, some more, area board.
• North Delta Regional Planning and Development District Board – Brenda Abercrombie, District 8
• 911 Communications District Board – Union Parish Homeland Security Director Greg Gossler
• Union-Lincoln Water Initiative Board – Ben Bridges, District 5
• Union Parish Detention Center Commission Board – Nathan Pilgreen, District 2
• Trailblazer Resource Conservation and Development Board – Nathan Pilgreen, District 2
• Sparta Groundwater Conservation Board – Ben Bridges (District 5), Johnny Buckley (District4) and L.W. Nolan (District 7) [names sent to the La. Governor’s office. Governor will appoint one of the three.]
Jurors also voted to retain Secretary/Treasurer Paula Strickland for another two years.
The Police Jury meets the first Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Police Jury meeting room of the UP Courthouse Annex in Farmerville.